Podcasts are no longer a niche medium. More than one-in-four Americans listened to a podcast in the last month. Many people are hooked. The average podcast listener hears an average of seven podcasts a week. With each passing year, podcasting gains greater mainstream awareness and market penetration. "The medium is inherently intimate, and easily creates a one-sided feeling of closeness between listener and host," says Wired Magazine.
We owe much of this year-over-year growth in podcasting to the rapidly evolving way in which we connect to media. Where live programming once ruled, on-demand and streamed content are now preferred by a vast number of consumers. Americans have more control than ever over when and how they consume media.
According to Edison Research, 68 percent of 13-24 year-olds listen to audio on their smartphones every single day. And yet, this report shows that no single age group dominates listenership, with an almost even distribution between ages 18 and 54 (18-24: 15%; 25-34: 20%; 35-44: 17%; 45-54: 15%).
By far the greatest assets of the podcast industry are its affluent, educated and loyal listeners. :
- Nearly a third of podcast listeners have an annual household income of $100,000+
- 61% buy something they heard about on a podcast
- 58% have a bachelor's degree or higher
- 88% listen to most or all episodes of the shows to which they are subscribed
- Listeners are equally male and female, and reflect the diversity of the U.S. population
Take us up on our free one-hour consultation to explore how we can help you harness the power of podcasts.