Podcasts are fun. Listeners look forward to listening to their favorite shows.With each passing year, podcasting gains mainstream awareness, market dominance, and overall prevalence in the media industry. This article in The Economist puts it simply: “The percentage of American adults polled who had listened to a podcast in the previous month doubled between 2008 and 2015, with over a third of the population having now listened to at least one.”
We owe much of this year-over-year growth to the rapidly evolving way in which we all connect to media. Where live programming once ruled, on-demand and streamed content now reign supreme. Americans have more control than ever over the media they consume.
What’s more, the intergenerational shift is remarkable. According to Edison Research, 68 percent of 13-24 year-olds listen to audio on their smartphones every single day. And yet, this report shows that no single age group dominates listenership, with practically an even distribution between ages 18 and 54 (18-24: 15%; 25-34: 20%; 35-44: 17%; 45-54: 15%). Which other medium has this kind of ageless appeal?
By far the greatest assets of the podcast industry are its affluent, educated, and loyal listeners. These are the fast facts:
- Nearly a third of listeners have an annual household income of $100,000+
- 61 percent of listeners buy something they heard about on a podcast
- 58 percent of listeners have a bachelor's degree or higher
- 88% listen to most or all episodes of the shows to which they are subscribed
- Listeners are equally male and female, and reflect the diversity of the U.S. population
The bottom line is clear: Podcasts are no longer a niche platform, and they’ve evolved far beyond their underdog days of yore.
Take us up on our free one-hour consultation to explore how we can help you harness the power of podcasts.